Pages

Wednesday 25 January 2017

Exploring a few locations around Seymour

I explored a few locations around the Seymour area yesterday. First, I checked out Mangalroe Flora and Fauna reserve. I've been there once before, and it contains wonderful habitat. I was primarily looking for Painted Button-quail, a bird that is sometimes recorded at this location, and one of the few bird species within two hours drive from home that I have yet to see. And it's going to remain that way, as I failed to find any! I did see a small blob dart across the track out of the corner of my eye that I'm tempted to think was a Painted Button-quail, but I'd need to see a lot more than a small blob to be sure!

I did find a few things to photograph, although I was more intent on looking for PBQ than taking photos...

Australian Golden Orb-weaving Spider (Nephila edulis)

Unidentified beetle

Brown Treecreeper

White-plumed Honeyeater

Then I moved on to Seymour Bushland Park where I saw and heard some nice birds including Western Gerygone and what sounded like a White-winged Triller (99.9% sure, but that tiny bit of doubt stopped me from listing it at eBird). Unfortunately the birds weren't too keen on being photographed, but I did find some nice insects - two similar looking cicadas, possibly Pauropsalta rubristrigata, and a very, very adorable Botany Bay Weevil.



Botany Bay Weevil, Chrysolopus spectabilis
Botany Bay Weevil, Chrysolopus spectabilis
Then I moved on to to the Seymour River Walk where once again I found some nice birds, but not many that were overly keen on being photographed. And once again I found plenty of insects for the macro lens!

Clerid Beetle, Eleale pulcher

Clerid Beetle, Eleale sp.

Unidentified Longicorn Beetle

Some amorous Lycid-mimic Longicorn Beetles, Stenoderus suturalis

Mor amorous Longicorn Beetles

Pin-tailed Beetle, Hoshihananomia leucosticta

Pin-tailed Beetle, Hoshihananomia leucosticta

Wasp
Sacred Kingfisher

Mangalroe eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S33919991
Seymour Bushland Park eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S33920007
Seymour River Walk eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S33920033

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew, as a Seymour local, I think you have a mistake in your Bushland Park checklist. I very much doubt you'd ever get a yellow-plumed honeyeater - wouldn't that be a White-plumed? Love your insect work. Very informative and beautiful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. Yes, White-plumed, thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  2. Or possibly a Fuscous Honeyeater. I did think I saw one there once but you have 10 yellow-plumed H-e's which sounds like quite a flock.

    ReplyDelete