Pages

Monday 1 January 2018

Neuroptera at Woodlands Historic Park

I get a thrill every time I find a Neuropteran. They're uncommon insects to find, and they are absolutely fascinating. Here's a collection of Neuroptera that I have found at Woodlands Historic Park, Victoria, Australia during 2017. Hopefully in 2018 I can find even more of these beauties. I dream of finding an owlfly one day...


Porismus strigatus (Pied Lacewing)


I've only seen this species once, around dusk in March. There were two of them crawling up a tree trunk. Possibly the most beautiful of all the lacewings.




Glenoleon spp.

I saw two different Glenoleon species last year at WHP. I think the first, shown in the first three photos, is Glenoleon meteoricus, although I'm far from certain, and the second I'm fairly confident is Glenoleon pulchellus, although again I'm not 100% certain.


 Bandidus canifrons

This species was the most common in 2017, regularly seen in November and December.
 





Mantispidae

I was incredibly thrilled to find my first ever mantis fly in November 2017, and then incredibly a second just two weeks later. I think both are different species, possibly genus Campion, but to be honest I have no idea how to identify these beauties. Photos 1-3 species 1, the rest are species 2.









No comments:

Post a Comment